Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dear Luzerne, where did you put the mountains?

Thanks to everyone for hanging in there with my sporadic blog posting. I'm working to get all caught up, so when spring decides to make an appearance, I'm ready to post more outdoor adventures.

In February, a great friend of ours decided to embark on a whirlwind European adventure. Jess started his trip with some of our friends currently living in Italy, then headed up to Zurich for a few quick, and busy days with us. He arrived at our house when John was doing some work in Munich, so I needed some help getting him down the few stairs to our apartment. No time like the present to meet our neighbors upstairs! (Of course, I have run into them in the lobby, but the Swiss take a long time to get used to new people in their space, so we haven't exactly made lasting friendships with the people in our building.) I know the families that live in the apartment on the second floor, but they weren't home. So I went up to the third floor and started knocking on doors.
Thank goodness, someone is home.
Oh, hello 'Mr. 65 year old British Man', thank you for opening the door - in your SPEEDO! He's happy as can be, doesn't seem to phase him that I am standing outside his door while he is practically naked. I completely forgot why I was there and could only think "don't look down, don't look down, oh crap, I think I just looked down, stop it, start talking to him or he's going to think you are the weird one in this situation."  Ok, right, I told him I needed help getting my friend down the stairs to our place, he immediately agreed to help and thankfully closed the door to put both a shirt and some pants on. Did that really just happen?
Yes, yes it did, I momentarily forgot that we live in Europe.

John came home very late that night, after we were all asleep, and had to leave before anyone woke up to go to Geneva. Because this was Jess's first trip to Switzerland, Jess, Ella and I opted to hop on a train and head to Geneva for the day (it's a 3 hour train ride complete with gorgeous mountain views) Except, the mountains decided to stay hidden in the clouds. Bummer. We had an eventful day in Geneva, and met up with John for a drink that evening before heading back to Zurich in the dark, still no mountains.

We spent Saturday roaming around Zurich, pretending to enjoying the freezing weather and the fresh snow fall. Welcome to Zurich in the winter. And still, no mountains to be seen.

Sunday was a day trip to Lucerne. It's been on our list of cities to visit, and there's no time like the present, right? It is called, the 'gateway to the Alps' and it's a 45 min train ride south of Zurich. Ok Alps, here we come.....

Yeah, see those clouds, close your eyes and pretend there are gorgeous snow-capped mountains behind them. That's what we did.


We had to make a stop at the Lion of Lucerne because Mark Twain deemed it as the 'most mournful and moving piece of stone in the world." Prepared to be moved. 
"The Lion Monument (GermanLöwendenkmal), or the Lion of Lucerne, is a sculpture in LucerneSwitzerland, designed byBertel Thorvaldsen. It commemorates the Swiss Guards who were massacred in 1792 during the French Revolution, when revolutionaries stormed the Tuileries Palace in ParisFrance." (Thank you Wikipedia)



Then we spent time wandering around Old Town and the hills of Lucerne, hoping to catch a break in the clouds..... nope, still no mountains. I'm pretty sure that Jess thinks the Alps are some fancy illusion created by Swiss photographers just to boost tourism.


Thanks for the visit Jess! We loved getting to see you! 


2 comments:

  1. Wow! Great to "see" Jess, sounds like you had a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen the Lion Monument in emails several times before, but it always looked SO incredible that I assumed it was fake. I stand corrected! Now it's on my see-before-I-die list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete